Friday, February 8, 2013

Packed week lots of work, friends, family, catching up, and NO POWER

Moshi Week 2, 2013

We experienced a busy busy week in Moshi, topped by a wonderful but hard “hash” and a huge downpour that flooded the streets and made driving frightening. Dust settled and we had a few days in which the sun did not stab our brains.
Dr.Puli, Alice and Cecilia at First Health
A scary muddy drive to First Health Dispensary, but their happiness to see me was touching.  Thank you Barlett for your supplies, they were greatly appreciated!  (a small gift and huge smiles) 

Our wonderful neighbors came to visit with their very cool youngest son John Paul, and sweet Anne Marie (two others not with daddy Matt)
Anne Marie and Jean Paul with dad Matt--w/out sis Lucy and bro Dominic...or mommy

Thank you very much Stephen, I got to witness real tears as Margaret of Children of Destiny opened your envelope with your entire Christmas folded in to $100 and $20 dollar bills.  Her little orphan charges were so worried about her tears that they even interrupted the steady trend of conversation (he’s teasing me, she called me names, he took my dolly, I need to “PEEE”) with “Are you ok, Mama?”
Margaret showing gratitude for donation

These children, happy with whatever they have
Children of Destiny is an orphanage where the director is one woman...no board....with just a big heart.  The children are happy, all 25 of them.  They are incredibly poor and barely survive, but always offer me a plate of precious rice and beans.  Though it is rude to say "no", I do anyway, just thinking about that child's mouth to feed.  Stephen has saved their orphanage twice with donations of just about 1/2 of my own month's salary.  Enough to get them food for 3-4 months.  What more can you want!



Hot, and happy friends

The perfect "hasher"
We had a wonderful run/walk around our greater neighborhood and my legs have been sore all week.  I cannot describe the ravines, very deep on either side with no definite path for the way out.  Only jumping across rocks and if you miss, into the water (I went once into the water)
Jan, always where the action is....
John and Bob plan the Kenyan Trip


My greatest joy, meeting with different members of the community to talk about our research efforts.  Happily, the Coffee Shop folks are welcoming and warm, no matter how much I buy—their ice coffee is to die for--.

And then their was Dada’s dinner.  To be incorporated? Dada's United...We will change the world! Pamoja Tunaweza (Together we can)      That dinner crowned the week. 
The "baby" of our Dadas, Eunice does a little dance
Add We are now a big group of Dada's United....
Next week “off to Kenya”
Kilimanjaro is losing the ice cap fast !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment