Friday, February 20, 2015

Musings of an Old Lady

-->
Musings of an old lady

This morning I woke up, fixed coffee, opened e-mail and saw a post that warmed my heart.  It seems that a miracle has happened, and my mind quickly slipped back to the afternoon when my friend had called with terrible news.  Today the news is so much better, and I am grateful. 

Tony and me
Being the type of stream of consciousness person that I am, I pondered most of these things as I went running (jogging) today.  First I dwelled on the two words “mindfulness” and “thoughtfulness”.  Most people who know me, know that I do not like the word “mindfulness”, but until today I had not really thought about it.  I realize it is that the word “thoughtfulness” encompasses “mindfulness” but is so much more.  And, I remember my parents clearly saying to me, “Patricia, do not be so thoughtless!” The intent of the word was clearly my being impolite, having done something reasonably bad, etc.  But, when my father said, “We all need to be more thoughtful in this world.  It is a goal” I remember those times quite clearly.   
Mother and Dad around 1994

As I was running up a hill and struggling, I thought about the word “grateful”.  Well, there is obviously a world of difference between mindful, thoughtful and grateful.  I have many things to be grateful for, but somehow it seems more personal.  (and, I was grateful that these musings helped me run up the hill and nearly forget it was there.)

There is no translation for mindfulness in Kiswahili…mind is translated as "akili", but thoughtful is "mwangalifu".  Similarly, there is no translation for grateful.  Obviously, "grate" and "great" are quite different. I find that interesting. 

I could attribute this mind wandering to the onset of Lent with Ash Wednesday being celebrated this past Wednesday, though that would be unfair as my mind does this type of stuff frequently.   Though it did lead me to think about Lent, and it being a time for thought and prayer.  Lent and running also here generally mean preparation for the Kilimanjaro marathon, even as many of us are preparing for Easter.!   

Mzee Helmut and our former Pastor David at St. Margaret's

Pastor Jason and Heiko at St. Margarets this year.

John nearing halfway at the Kilimanjaro Marathon 2008
All this in its cyclical way brought me back to my joy this morning at finding that my friend’s reports from seemingly impossible depths were good, recuperation from huge surgery is moving along well, and pathology reports show margins clear and no sign of metastasis. So, I am grateful for my family and friends, I am grateful for having good friends here in Tanzania and in the US.  I am grateful for people who take care of other people and who are thoughtful.  And, hopefully that will lead me to be more thoughtful towards others in their times of joy and struggle.

Ndzi mama broke her arm this week..a struggle
 While Ndizi mama broke her arm this week, and her income will suffer if she cannot carry her bananas down the mountain, we will find a way to get her care, and our gardener will find her and bring her to medical care.
Dadas
Agnes Dafrosa
College Buds
Fipples  Happy B-day Elizabeth and Kathy!

Kathy & Me friends for 53 years!!!!!
Mary never stops praying!
Mz Betty and me

Thanks to those who prayed for my friend without ceasing.  Who knows…perhaps miracles do happen, and those prayers made a difference.  Wonders never cease!

1 comment: