Sunday, October 25, 2015

Election "Blues?"


John Trish and Bob in Tsavo West

Election Day Tanzania October 25, 15
And of course lots of other things

As I have only mused on the wonder of Tsavo West our friendship with “Dr. Bob” and our neighboring Kenya and its wonders, it is fitting I think to turn back to Tanzania and our beautiful Northern Zone of Kilimanjaro. 

Picture from 2007... about 17% snow on mountain currently.
This entire trip of ours back to our home here in Moshi town has been filled with the discussion of “the campaign”, the election.  Again, what we have heard and witnessed is the general broad concept of “Change” and the need for a “change”.  The reports have the election neck and neck, and for us, we have no inkling of which way the wind will turn.  For one thing, we live in opposition country, and the opposition party Chedema suddenly found themselves with a gold mine for their candidate, Edward Luassa, a chief of the ruling party CCM.  He bolted the party when he was not selected as the CCM candidate.  He has a checkered past, but claims that he was framed for corruption and that he can lead the opposition to the front.  There is much discussion about the corruption, but most say that he could win.  The CCM ruling party candidate is considered a surprise candidate, selected by the party chairs and perhaps a reluctant candidate; however, he is considered to be very honest and has done a terrific job in the posts within the party that he has held.  And, to top it off, he has chosen a woman as his Vice-presidential candidate from Zanzibar. So there is general agreement amongst both parties that he could be a good President.  The bottom line is, do the people who are desperate for change at all costs (and many of our dearest friends, just say, “it is time for change”, win, or do they lose.  And who loses in the end?  We don’t know, but we do know that nearly everyone is praying for peace. 

Who are we as Americans to judge anyone after all!

So that has been the forefront of nearly everything; however, in our lives the small things have been great! 

I have taken to looking for birds in the yard with only limited success.  I hear them, I see them, but they also see me, and whoosh off they go.  My favorites are the yellow sunbirds who love the fragrant frangipani, blue salvia, yesterday today tomorrow, pink sunflower, Easter lily and the Rangoon Creeper. But I have been totally unable to get any photos of them. I did manage to grab a black-headed oriole a group of which wakes us up in the morning at 5:45.  They are so cute and persistent that you cannot help but get up and you just cannot hate them.  We have a ton of Cordon Bleu, but they are really fast and no way to manage a picture, but here is a wonderful flycatcher eating seeds.  He did not want me around either, but he wanted the seeds more.

hiding black headed oriole.

Nice flycatcher
Blue salvia

Rose tree???

fab rose tree (name later I think)

Rangoon Creeper

African Monkey?


another stinky shrub (wonderful stinky) I will identify when I can

weird snake plant flower
Frangipani

Easter Lily
I have also thrived on Pauli’s ducks.  They aren’t particularly nice to their babies (either a male or a female kills off the weak ones and it is almost unbearable; however the strong survive and I have spent quite a few hours watching them parade around the yard.  My fabulous chickens are doing well, particularly with their new fenced in little yard.  Charlie is quite happy, and we are getting 3-5 fresh eggs each day! 

very cute babies

mom and children

Unbelievable gardenias
My gardenias have been blooming their heads off, and I pick 5-6 every 4 days, put the little vases right in front of my computer and breathe in their fragrance with joy.

Pauli and Lucy’s little boy is busy busy.  He has more words each week, and is particularly puzzled knowing that I am Bibi, and Pauli’s mother is Bibi, we are nearly the same age, but I am one color and she is another.  He looks back and forth between us and his little forehead becomes quite furrowed.  Because he is not quite two, he finds something else, like daddy’s motorbike that he completely understands.  
crazy hash pic...Simon usually does not look like a deer in the headlights.

We had an amazingly beautiful hash at Ralph (local lawyer)’s house high in Rau.  We had to make our way through campaign rallies, but the hike itself was spectacular and the friends many indeed. 

Girlfriends
My girlfriends had dinner together (Dada’s dinner) and laughed so hard that I worried we might be evicted.  Fortunately, our waitress was fascinated with these old ladies gossiping and calling each other names, and expressing joy at being together again. 

Charles being provocative at Mkulima...who knows.
awful picture, wonderful time...
John and I had dinner at Mkulima both with project friends, and with our dear Emmanuel’s and our interim priest whom we have enjoyed so much. It will be most difficult to say good-bye to Tony when the time comes. But hopefully he will come back.

John and I had tea with Fons and Sylvia and had a fabulous tour of the greenhouses.  Sylvia offered us coffee and juice, we chatted about nearly everything, and I again thought about how lucky I have been to meet and spend time with truly amazing people.

Cuttings that lead to fabulous plants headed to Netherlands

The way you do cuttings

soft place in my heart for kitties that look like Squeaker

Peace lily....a CUTTING!
sorry..bad pic of Fons with his special plugs!
And finally, my Dutch daughter Marieke and her husband Marco and John and I had a great dinner together.  
 
Very special friends Marco and Marieke!
 I marvel at how Moshi, Tanzania, brings such different backgrounds and ages together.  I am vowing that every day until we leave this magic place, I will do some small thing that is not only positive for me, but for someone else.  I know there will be a time when we will not be able to return, thus, for each day I know I have…well I’ll make it good!


No comments:

Post a Comment