Sunday, October 23, 2016

Water Into Wine

The first Miracle of Jesus Christ is said to be the turning water into wine.  I have no intention of making fun of that first miracle, or of anything said about it; however I do want to offer a particularly full week that seemed to incorporate that very  first miracle.  And it has to do with the following:

A. The MEPI "closeout" in which Charles M. determined that this was the miracle.  (not just the water to wine but the miracle of MEPI
B. Our fabulous yard and the care taken by Pauli, as well as new chickens and suddenly a turtle!
C. Our clinic and the new hats donated to the babies and their moms!  Thanks donors.
D. The 350th hash, which I think may go down in history as a great way for us all to see each other, the dustiest hash, and the least attractive, but with good food (and this is not the assessment of my own dear and near husband but everyone I have talked to).  But it was the 350 so it should go down for something.

Lots of pictures!

Proof positive..water to wine (MEPI and all that it has stood for and continues to stand.)

The boys played "football" but maybe the girls were just as good.  Chrispina shows her ability without any fancy sport clothes on.
WeruWeru Lodge has chosen to have camels for money making.  I have been told by a good source that they have the "good life" lots of good grasses and whatever they eat and are well behaved.  Dativa and Chrispina have ridden them!
Sia Msuya, well known for mentoring students, particularly with unusual and unique research projects.
Sabina Mtweve being crowned the queen of TBL (Team Based Learning)  She loves students.
Fabulous beautiful girls. Dr. Mtweve, Dativa, Glory and Chrispina....wow
Our own MEPI Alumni Chair, Rose, who is giving the keynote and acknowledging everyone involved.  Let's go MEPI 3!
I think everyone has seen our front yard, but we had not for 6 months and here it is, still beautiful!
I have no idea what kind of succulent the "brain Tree:", but it looks a little less like a brain as it grows bigger and bigger
Two gardenia bushes send their scents almost to the house.  It is intoxicating and I just wish they were closer.  
won't look like anything but this is my Mawenzi mt. and the Duke basket ball flag (faded) and the Opposition Party (Chedema Party) fly high (held on by giant cactus)  At this point we are big fans of the opposition.
Biggest surprise is Kenny (Kobe-Turtle)  He lives with the Kukus & they steal all his food so I worry about him, but bring him melon and mince and greens and shut the chickens up.  Wish I could give him to my brother Jim!  He is actually huge.
Actually, this is the most beautiful Rooster I have had.  I have not warmed to him, but named him Charlie Jr. so he would have the same opportunity as his name sake who will go down in history as my fav.


My really favorite bush is "Yesterday Today & Tomorrow.  I love the gentle sweet smell and the sad (to me) knowledge that the flower lasts exactly 3 days. Amost gone now and hope it comes back soon!
We are happy to always host visitors, and Diana and Charles from UCSF and Dar Es Salaam were no exceptions.  We had great talks about the future of our projects and wow, young people are terrific.  Thanks for coming.!
Remember Sarah?  She was a 3rd year resident in 2009!  And now working in Uganda.  Great weekend with Sarah, thinking about the "old days"  (2009??????)  Great to see her!
Winnie looking great wit the hats donated.  Wow thanks donors.

It is important to notate that the new rules about confidentiality for patients (particularly minors) and their parents or guardians are particularly strict.  So the Nurses (sisters) and I decided to show off the hats in the best way we could, with the fabulous sisters who actually see the patients and care for them would show off the hats.  They are sosooo excited for their patients to have the opportunity for a new hat.  You never outgrow this need.  THANKS TO ALL THE DONORS!
Our fabulous study nurses looking through all these hats.  Such a bountiful gift.  Thank you all so much!

Next just one or two pictures from the 350th hash: FYI, it was located at the TPC, the Sugar Plantation which is often beautiful.  For some reason, it struck me as dusty, barren and well, ummmmmm.  But my new knee dilemna (IT band disaster) has leveled me and I can neither run nor walk.
Doesn't look like I feel sorry 4 self, but I do.
John in misery with Nelson who missed a turn somehow and ran 12K instead of 6, in the worst dust imaginable.  Kali (Foul Tempered) John
On the right, great friends Liselotte and Martin back for two weeks to Moshi.  L is one of the best choir soprano voices I know and a flute player on top.  Loved singing with her in the early days of 2005-2009.  Sigh.
So, with the 350 over with and new weeks coming.  I say goodbye to this blog for the week with just a few more pictures.  I have to say that the hardest thing is that I cannot walk, and I'm totally discouraged about it, and confused.  I look at places that I used to walk every day, and now if I try to get there, I am in tears.  I'm told that this IT band will  or can be fixed, but the pain is almost too much to bear.  But I am the soldier of my dad and mom and I will try and soldier on.

Here are the last pics.  The Rangon Creeper (apparently like honeysuckle and just as sweet,) the Traveler's fern...amazing, and the mountain.  Losing its snow really fast now, but so regal regardless.
Rangoon Creeper taking over the house (fine with me...and the yard).
Love this Traveler's Fern

Snows disappearing but oh so beautiful.
Most weeks are much quieter, but gracious this one was packed.  My take away message is that we have young energetic people to take over from us, and soon, and we are only here to give support and guidance.  There is lots brewing just like in the states, and who knows what will happen, but the time has been the best I could have ever imagined!


No comments:

Post a Comment